‘Graffuturiste’ or ‘Timeless’
Miami, Florida during Art Basel|Miami
Spray paint, Laytex paint & bitumen on cinderblock and plaster
Photo: Mike Cuff/Warholian
MTNCOLORS presents site specific mural installations in the Wynwood Arts District at the Kohn Compound during Art Basel Miami 2011
MTN colors @ The Kohn Compound
219 NW 24th St
Key notes to the mural:
01. The point here was to reproduce the energy and direction of some of my recent studio paintings in a large scale format.
02. The ‘teeter effect’ or ’tilt’ of the overall composition leads to an off-centering that gives the idea of movement.
03. The earth tone palette is not a new concept for me, but due to the bright and vibrant murals throughout the compound, it makes the subtleness of this piece shine in contrast.
04. Both assisted straight lines ( straight edge and/or masking tape) and traditional manuel lines are executed in order to keep balance. The larger circles were assisted with the help of a center point. The smaller arch and circles were completed manually.
05. The majority of the left side of the mural was completed before I finalized the right side.
06. The majority of the mural was painted in one day. The following 4 days consisted of clean up, fine tuning and adjustments.